On March 29 I'm going to be hosting The Phoenix Garden Party, brought to you by The Home Depot Garden Club. There's going to be all sorts of fun happening at the event - a personal chef and a professional gardener both teaching great classes and offering Q&A. And I'll be there to take some of the classes, too. Come hang out and eat and learn and get your hands dirty!

 photo IMG_1395.jpg

 photo IMG_1494.jpg

In preparation for the garden party, I've been doing some updates to the little side porch area that I started decorating last summer and never finished. I LOVE how just a few small changes to this space made with paint and a few new plants have made a huge impact on the overall look! Here's what we did:
You might remember how before, the porch swing was this bright blue color. I liked the color, but it was looking a little circus-y out front with the red door and the bit of blue from the music room popping out behind the windows. Since my goal in life is to not be the crazy neighbor, the blue had to go.

 photo IMG_1339.jpg

Plus the tannins from the knots were starting to peek through the latex paint the seller had painted it before I bought it. Nothing a little oil-based painted can't tackle!

 photo IMG_1370.jpg

We used a quart of low-lustre oil-based paint in BM's Chelsea Gray and I LOVE the finish. It's not glossy at all, but it has a really beautiful furniture-like finish. Similar to what the Advance line produces, but oil-based is about as hard-wearing as it gets. It's a great option for painting floors if you don't want a glossy look.

 photo IMG_2721.jpg

After the first coat of paint, we caulked the gaps in the planks and the look is much cleaner on the seat now.

 photo IMG_1388.jpg

It makes me so, so excited to get our house painted. Brown be gone! :)

 photo IMG_1400.jpg

Do you spy my little pride and joy kumquat trees here? I bought two at Home Depot and potted them in my chalky black planters (the same ones we had on our back balcony in Brooklyn) and flanked the porch with them.

 photo IMG_1501.jpg

They're so pretty. :) I think I probably laid it on too thick when I told the girls not to pick the fruit. I heard Evie telling the neighbor kids that "my mom will cry if you pick her baby, baby oranges."

 photo IMG_1481.jpg

I planted the most delicious-smelling honeysuckle at the tree bases as ground cover. I'm obsessed with the idea. Honeysuckle > dirt.

 photo IMG_1384.jpg

Also, I couldn't stand the green vinyl stake ties so I used a little nylon cording left over from the cleaning buckets project to replace the ugly with pretty.

 photo IMG_1497.jpg

I've been able to keep these alive and happy for a couple weeks now (!) and I feel like some of that has to do with putting rocks in the bottom of the planters to help with drainage. I always either overwater or underwater. whoops.

 photo IMG_2723.jpg

Is there a prettier color combo than gray and bright, clear orange?

 photo IMG_1386.jpg

I took off the nasty old hose roller thing that was hanging on the brick before and picked up this cool bowl that's made to be a hose-keeper. It has a hole in the back of the bowl for feeding the last bit of the hose through, so you have just enough to reach the spigot. I love it and it makes it super simple to pull out and to corral the hose.

 photo IMG_2842.jpg

My vintage Homecrest chairs that I picked up at Junk in Williamsburg finally got a makeover! GOLD!!! 

 photo IMG_1458.jpg

Before they were sort of just rusty ivory?

 photo cIMG_1343.jpg

My beloved Design Masters spray paint came to my rescue again and I wasn't disappointed :)

 photo IMG_1415.jpg

 photo IMG_1419.jpg

The finish isn't perfect, but that's more about the condition of the chairs than anything else. I like that they show their age though, I don't want them to look brand new. The white chairs were refinished and powder coated by a craigslist seller and they look almost too perfect :) I guess the combination of the chair pairs works though.

 photo IMG_1467.jpg

 photo IMG_1440.jpg

I did buy new outdoor pillows for the white chairs, but rather than buying new cushions for the gold chairs, we spruced up the old ones with some little hot pink tassels I made from nylon cording and a little bit of wire. Cute right?

 photo IMG_1422.jpg

I also taped off the edges and sprayed the center third with just regular old white spray paint. I thought the paint would sit on top of the cushion a little more thickly, but it sort of just absorbed in a cool way.

 photo IMG_2773.jpg

 photo IMG_2777.jpg

I loved the subtle color difference.

 photo IMG_1525.jpg

Between the pairs of chairs I put the little antique faux bois table base I found in the backyard of the brownstone that the landlord gave me. I love it and I love her (Hi, Sally!). I found a little table at a thrift store for just a couple bucks and the marble top works perfectly on the faux bois base.

 photo IMG_1484.jpg

 photo IMG_2827.jpg

I got a new bowl planter for the brick wall and planted pretty morning glories.

 photo IMG_1399.jpg

 photo IMG_1476.jpg

I also brought a pair of ficus trees I had in the back yard out to the front porch. I am so crazy about the drippy planters!

 photo IMG_1409.jpg

I planted some Mexican sage in there too. The little blooms are such a pretty pop of cobalt!

 photo IMG_1436.jpg

 photo IMG_2838.jpg

Anyway, lots of fun changes to the side porch! I'm ready to tackle more of our yard, but I think I want to wait until after the garden party. :) I feel like a bit of a novice in this area, so a little know-how and confidence will go far! If you're interested in coming on the 29th, feel free to RSVP here. I'd really love to meet you!

 photo 282971_10152703850900031_854044833_n.jpg

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top